Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Children are Lovely

"...uhm...they uhhh...wrote the Declaration. And...they uhm...they...."
I kept mumbling to myself, trying to remember what the darned answer was to this APUSH flashcard. The kids were on bathroom break, so I got a study break. Wee.
I stared down at the thick stack of little white cards, unable to fathom how I could possibly memorize all this in two days. Suddenly, a shadow fell across me.
I looked up. There stood Nathan, a small, pudgy little boy with big, curious eyes.
"Whatcha doin'?" he questioned.
"I'm studying for a BIG test I have to take on Friday!" I replied all smiles, though on the inside, I was anything but.
Nathan flopped down next to me. "Can I try?!" he asked excitedly, looking up at me. I tried not to burst out laughing.
"Sorry kid," I wanted to say, "but these cards are for APUSH. The hardest class at my school. You're six. This just ain't gonna work out for you." But, instead I answered that I would be happy to have his help.
Just then, adorable little Jude Pizzino - which if he ever heard me call him that he would probably punch me - came and sat down on my other side. I had just begun to read the card's definition when he interrupted.
"What are you doing?"
"We're studying!" Nathan cried.
"Oh, cool," Jude tried to say non-chalantly, but he eagerly leaned over my shoulder to get a better look at the flashcard.
I began reading the definition. I quickly realized that it was talking about the Second Continental Congress. By the time I finished reading the card, three other kids had come over.
I looked at Nathan. "What do you think it is?" I asked.
Nathan thought hard for a moment, then looked up and with a proud expression shouted, "GEORGE WASHINGTON!" The other kids nodded in agreement.
I laughed. "Hmmm," I said, "That sounds like a good answer, but I think that it might actually be 'The Second Continental Congress'."
They looked at me like I had four noses. I flipped the card over. Sure enough: "The Second Continental Congress".
"AWWWW!" the kids moaned.
I smiled. "Better luck next time guys!"
Jude suddenly got right in my face. "Another!" he cried.
"Yeah!" Nathan echoed, "Another!"
Now, almost all the kids were gathered around me, all pleading with me to read another card.
I smiled and did as they wished. I would read the definition, they would guess, I'd tell them the right answer, and then flip the card over revealing I was correct.
The game continued for about seven more minutes and we got through about eleven cards. The kids became more enthralled with each one.
I found it incredibly entertaining that a bunch of three through nine year olds could be so excited about a stack of boring APUSH cards, when my own classmates try to tar and feather me when I say that APUSH is my favorite class. Their enthusiasm was refreshing.
Finally, Jordan, the children's pastor, walked over and informed us that it was time to go back to the classroom. All the kids groaned, and said they wanted to keep playing the game. I assured them that I would have many more flashcard tests to come and we would get to play again. With their spirits now brightened by the hope of a future game, the kids stood and followed Jordan back to the classroom. I followed behind, glanced down at the flashcards, and smiled.

No comments: